Benedict Cumberbatch Describes Attending The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug Hollywood Premiere (x)
Oh dear glob he is intensely handsome here
Cool as the slide down was, I’m still impressed by how he monkeyed back up the fucking scenery again afterwards.
Yes. YES. Forever impressed by that!
Chat reblogged from with 2,789 notes
Requested by anonymous (X)
So, yesterday was an awesome day, I met so many awesome people and had a great time! I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it and I keep smiling and people must think I’m weird for just smiling to myself, but if only they knew!
When it was my turn to take a photo with him, I smiled so hard and excitedly yelled, “Hi!!!” and he replied just as excitedly “Hello!” back! Then, I think he appreciated my enthusiasm and did his legendary point in my photo, and as I walked off I was like “oh my god you pointed at me, you’re awesome!”
Okay this is important because this girl I became friends with had her photo next and I think he must have looked at me as I said that to him, so he wasn’t looking in her photo. But luckily the Oz Comic Con people rock and actually tracked her down and asked her to take another photo with him cos he wasn’t looking at the camera.
Then, when I went to get an autograph, I had a post-it note with my name on it on the photo we took together (they wrote your name on a post-it note so he would spell it correctly) and I kinda just watched him start writing my name, not knowing whether it was okay to ask him how he was. But thank god this beautiful soul went ahead and asked me how I was going. I replied and just as I was about to ask him if he was exhausted, he looks at the photo whilst autographing and says, “you have… the most beautiful smile!” and I freaked out and was like, “no, you have the most beautiful smile!” and he just looked at me like with an aw shucks look, it was adorable.
Then my friend asked what he said to me, and I told her, and she was like oh my god!!!! And then I became friends with these other girls sitting in my row and one of them says, “Oh my god, you were the girl he said had a beautiful smile!!!” and I was like how do you know! And she said she was next to get an autograph and heard!
Ah, and everyone that saw my photo with him said that it was such a good photo (one even said it was perfect and was envious)! And I’m so glad it was, I was so afraid he wasn’t going to smile in mine because I was live tracking the photos he took with his fans in Adelaide and in some of them he just looks so burnt out, but I’m glad he gave me a cheerful smile in mine!
That’s it! I just had to let it out, because I know I’m being annoying by mentioning his name every two seconds on every one of my social media accounts, but this is it - the mother load!
- Benedict is the loveliest gentleman ever
- I cannot even describe the feeling of getting a compliment like that from someone you idolise so damn much, it’s just incredible
- After all those times I was obsessed with him and kept nagging my friends about how perfect he is, he says I have the most beautiful smile why Benedict why!!!!
- And now, that will forever be the best compliment I will ever receive in my life and any man will never compare to him, and I’m okay with that.
Oz Comic Con/Sydney (2014)
By the way if you call me Sherlock out on the street I won’t turn around.
First let me say this… the Cumberfans are the best fans I’ve ever encountered. Fandom meetings in real life are beautiful. Total strangers were chatting about university together, jumping up and down excited, sharing information about various events & celebrities, debating the feminism, status & fame, acting techniques, rude fans, life the universe and everything. Without fighting and without angst. Sharing taxis, exchanging URLs, it was astounding. All sorts of ages and genders and cosplays and just. Woah.
Now, to the stuff you all might actually care about…
- Benedict did the Smaug voice. And the Khan voice. Plus his Alan Rickman impression. Let me tell you now the Smaug voice is the thing of actual nightmares when reverberating inside a large room.
- He played us music on his phone. He has some really good taste in music.
- There was a very subtle murmur of laughter every time he swore.
- As is typical, he talked for ages and ages, getting really involved in every question.
- He, uh. He’s really warm. And he clearly very much enjoys pointing at people.
- Mostly, the crowd was good. Lots of cheering- when an interview was played on the projector, when the chair was brought out for him to sit on… I’m everyone running the event assumed we were kinda… hysterical.
- One lady was literally carried out of the photo area, having fainted. I didn’t see it happen but when she was carried in everyone applauded her, and applauded her again when she sat down. Supportive crowd.
- Towards the end the Q & A the strict format about who could ask questions broke down- everyone was running out of time and he was being a cheeky fuck. This was a bit awkward, though I don’t doubt he’s managed worse. He kept his answers short and non-serious to save time and avoid potential confrontation.
- Oz Comic Con played a video featuring his Thriller dance before he came onstage. The crowd clearly knew this was bad, bad news- they would cheer during every other part but the Thriller parts. Benedict came out dancing to a song on his phone, giving us some ‘legal dancing’ to use instead of the illegal dancing. He then sat down and explained about the video- most fans probably knew already, but clearly the staff picking the videos didn’t. Somebody will probably get in trouble for that. But Benedict was calm and informative about the whole thing, and made sure he kept the tone light, as he came out dancing. Well handled, IMO.
- Pleased to hear he’s been enjoying Australia. Jumping out of planes, surfing, dinners, vineyards, that kind of thing.
- If you look at just the picture of him and I I think it’s possible to see my hand holding onto his shirt. I was emotional, though L was worse. Excitement can be a really ‘feel it in the atmosphere’ kind of thing.
- Told us a really lovely story about meeting a childhood friend at a con without any warning at all and having a reunion.
- When asked about tricky subjects (autism in Sherlock and Julian Assange generally) he was careful but stated his opinions eloquently and respectfully.
- He was quite cold and did some big shivers and silly voices. Was also obviously tired from a long day and had wine brought over.
- Had some lovely banter with the fans.
- Talked about upcoming projects.
- Talked about geek culture.
- Gave some advice on acting that was, I think, really beautiful life advice generally and I wish I’d been able to record it because that really should be quoted everywhere.
- I’m sure there is a lot more that I can’t remember right now.
I’ll make another post, maybe with some better photos. Will also talk a bit more about my day generally- hotels, etc. But I really wanted to get down my thoughts and feelings early on. And if you were there and want to talk, or if you want to ask specifics about anything, go right ahead!!!
Hope the fan that fainted is alright!
Liar liar pants on fire
Benedict Cumberbatch posing for the crowd before they had to turn off all cameras. (x)
Page 1 of 232